Aging causes your skin to lose its natural plumpness due to a decrease in the production of collagen and elastin, which are two major structural proteins that give firmness and elasticity to your skin. Besides aging, other major factors that contribute to the loss of skin elasticity are UV damage, sleep deprivation, smoking, and genes. Stress, hormones, pollution, and poor diet can also accelerate the breakdown of collagen and elastin. While you can’t turn back the biological clock, you can improve and protect your skin’s elasticity using these simple skincare practices.
- Use sunscreen daily. Use products that include SPF daily, no matter the weather, as sun rays can penetrate the skin and cause damage anytime.
- Get 7-9 hours of sleep daily. This is the recommended amount of sleep for adults, according to The National Sleep Foundation.
- Use a retinol at night to stimulate collagen production and increase skin cell turnover. We recommend SkinMedica Retinol Complex.
- Add vitamin C to promote collagen growth. Our Dr. Wendel Vitamin C Complex is an easy addition to any skincare routine.
- Stick to your skincare regimen, even if it’s a minimal routine. A simple yet effective regimen we recommend is SkinMedica AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser + Neocutis Micro Day SPF 30 or SkinMedica Total Defense & Repair SPF 34 + EltaMD UV Aero SPF 45 all over sunscreen.
- Make antioxidant-rich foods a part of your daily diet. Also, cut down your consumption of sugary and processed foods, as healthy food breeds healthy skin.
- Try peptides to help build collagen.
- Get a chemical peel with collagen-boosting ingredients.
- Introduce growth factors to your skin with microneedling.
- Manage stress in your life, as stress causes your body to produce cortisol, and high levels of cortisol can break down collagen and elastin in your skin, making it less firm and supple.
The experts at Dr. J. J. Wendel Plastic Surgery are also happy to help you find a minimally or non-invasive procedure to firm sagging skin and recommend skin care products that are right for you. Schedule your consultation today!