Want to look more youthful? Whether you’re in your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, or 60 and up, here are some dos and don’ts to ensure graceful aging at any age from Haute Beauty expert Dr. Alina Sholar.
Prevention for Your 20s
While you haven’t started to show signs of aging in your 20s, taking steps to prevent UV damage and induced collagen will save you time, money, and angst later on in life.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking and vaping break down collagen and elastin, accelerating your skin’s aging process.
- Don’t tan. The most common cause of wrinkles and brown spots later in life is UV exposure from the sun or a tanning bed. Minimize time in direct sunlight and avoid tanning beds.
- Do get good sleep. Getting proper sleep promotes skin cell turnover and optimal collagen production.
- Do wash your face regularly. Cleansing your face twice a day removes age-inducing irritants and more.
- Do use SPF. Sunscreen is vital for your skin to slow the aging process. We recommend SkinMedica’s Essential Defense Everyday Clear Broad Spectrum.
Upgrade Your Routine in Your 30s
Now is the time to upgrade from basic moisturizer and SPF, as you’re starting to see the faintest signs of aging, like lines and wrinkles, forming.
- Don’t go in the sun. One sunburn can ruin all the new collagen you’ve made.
- Do get preventative Botox. Smaller doses of Botox in specific problem areas such as the forehead and glabella can prevent deeper lines and wrinkles.
- Do choose the right injector. Choosing the right injector, like the expert injectors at Dr. J. J. Wendel Plastic Surgery in Nashville will ensure you get the results you want.
- Do upgrade your skincare routine with medical-grade products. At Dr. J. J. Wendel Plastic Surgery, we can help you find the best products for your skin. Consider a VISIA Skin Analysis for a report-card style scientific analysis of your skin to receive the most in-depth and personalized recommendations.
- Do start depositing collagen to the “bank”. Around 30, you begin losing approximately 1% of your skin’s collagen per year. Beginning to build collagen in your 30s with microneedling, laser facials, and light exfoliating treatments is best. The earlier you start, the younger you’ll look as you age, and collagen loss speeds up.
Regenerate in Your 40s & Early 50s
With a great skincare routine and regular treatments to ensure your skin is in good shape as you age can help you avoid the need for surgery later in life.
- Don’t be afraid of fillers. We naturally lose volume in our face as we age, and dermal fillers are used to restore that volume.
- Do ramp up your collagen deposition. At least one big collagen-inducing procedure, or series of a procedure, once a year is vital at this age. Radiofrequency microneedling, such as Morpheus8, is great for boosting collagen and elastin.
- Do fill your plate with lots of fruits, vegetables, healthy proteins, and fats. Prevent unnecessary weight gain brought on by your metabolism slowing with age and protect muscle mass by eating sources rich in protein.
Treat Yourself in Your 50s & 60s
Patients are beginning to combine more surgical and non-surgical procedures, so they’re happy with their looks well into their 70s and even 80s.
- Don’t go in the sun. Skin cells lose the ability to heal themselves as we age, and skin cancers begin emerging primarily around this age.
- Do use physician-directed anti-aging skincare on a daily basis. Studies show that at minimum, effective anti-aging skincare routines include human growth factors, a retinoid, and an antioxidant entourage, including an esterified vitamin C, vitamin E, and coQ10.
- Do start skin resurfacing. Dr. Alina Sholar points out that laser skin resurfacing is the gold standard for eliminating wrinkles, fine lines, and sun damage from the superficial layers of the skin. This combined with Morpheus8 RF microneedling can be helpful for sagging skin.
- Don’t stress too much about aging. The skin’s aging process is put into hyperdrive when you’re under stress. Preventing and reversing aging is simple if you follow the plan outlined above, so you can look great for years to come.
For Botox, fillers, lasers, microneedling, medical-grade skincare, and more, see the experts at Dr. J. J. Wendel Plastic Surgery in Nashville. Schedule your consultation today to begin your new and improved anti-aging routine, so you can age gracefully.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock